Monday, December 14, 2009

Hello Omaha, I love you, but you're bringing me down.

(This has nothing to do with anything, but it looks cool right? But tell me what the front brake is doing)

Mod may have just posted on this, but since it's a fresh grumble on my mind, I thought I'd give my two bits on the state of trail clearing.

I had to turn around and go get my car while riding to work today. Living in mid-town and working near 84th and Giles gives me few choices for direction. There is 72nd and 84th. Both are unwise to ride when roads are clear, but now, when covered in all this gray and white cold stuff, it's down right nonsense. On my winter commuter, I figure I am going about half the speed I would normally be riding. That makes riding streets twice as dangerous - and just a nuisance to drivers who are already freaked out because they find their wheels slipping while texting and eating french fries. Mmmm french fries.

The Keystone is my only option. I had no issue getting there from 35th and Dodge and getting on the trail right North of Center. It was actually plowed -- for about 80 yards. Then snow became about 18 inches deep. I walked for a bit, hoping it would clear, but alas I trudged back, got on my bike, almost got hit by a bus, rode home and got my car. Since it was plowed this little bit, I know it can be done. This is totally not Lynskey.

Ok, obviously, there are not many of us out there riding. But when I see crews clearing park trails in Elmwood and the park at Aksarben village - trails that go in circles - I get a bit frustrated. I would like the choice to ride to work, but when it does not even become an option because I cannot access trails designed to get me throughout Omaha. Come on, you're bringing me down.

6 comments:

Mark Savery said...

BINGO!

RD said...

i hear you dude, I had to plan alternate route this morning for riding to work 16th street is basically deserted of cars but still some people don't have that luxury

munsoned said...

Well I was going to suggest an alternate route to you (60th st?) and mention you could blast this in your headphones while warding off angry drivers with a frame pump....

but then I remembered that I've been wussing out and taking the bus. I hope it wasn't the bus that almost hit you.

The Lucas said...

Yeah mike, that is my plan for tomorrow.

AOJules said...

Pedal Omaha Peeps: I'm assuming that the Keystone is the most frequently used trail for the folks who commute in the winter?

I think I'll start a post over on Bike Omaha and see if we can get a sense of this - please chime in over there ... maybe we can make the case for "At least plow the Keystone" based on what we find out.

Chris Mullenberg said...

So who wants to make a getaway. Where can we escape to dry roads and sunny days?? (Other than Heaven of course, I'm not ready yet)